What causes you all to notice a blog? Is it the cool colors and lay out that catches your eye? Maybe even the title or content that really makes you take a second look? Well for me, it is a little bit of both. This week I have evaluated two blogs that I follow and what exactly caused me to follow them. Check out my evaluations below!
First, I evaluated the blog, The College Prepster.
- What type of blog is it per this week’s lecture? This is blog is a semi-professional blog. It is run by one single girl, Carly Heitlinger (I actually went to high school with her!).
- What is its purpose? It is a blog offering life advice, style advice, travel advice, or as she puts it-“a little bit of everything.”
- What makes them unique? What makes The College Prepster unique is the variety that the blog offers. It offers advice on so many different topics as well as style updates. It truly is a blog with a little bit of everything, but it is not overwhelming at all. Which, is harder than it seems! To have a blog offering that many different categories, but is still organized in a way that the reader does not feel overwhelmed or confused is certainly not an easy task.
- Talk about how it reflects the brand. The blog feels very genuine and real, which is certainly a reflection of her brand. I know Carly personally, so perhaps I have a different view than the average reader (however, judging on her success something tells me this is not the case).
- What drives the traffic to the blog? High on search engine? IMC? Website links? What gets people to read! The blog has excellent SEO and IMC. She has links to all her social media outlets on her blog. Just typing in her blog on Google, and all of her social media channels come up.
- Is it a successful blog per some of the bullet points in this week’s lecture? Yes, The College Prepster fulfills all bullet points. New posts are publishes almost daily, but definitely weekly, the blog has Twitter as well as many other social media channels to connect with Carly, and all of her content is original.
- What’s missing on the blog in your opinion? The blog is very well-rounded and organized so well. I would not really say anything is missing. I love the visual lay out and pictures she posts as well as all of her content. She even has a section dedicated to her two new, and completely adorable, puppies! It provides plenty of cute pictures as well as advice, stories, and did I mention tons of pictures?! A fantastic blog in my opinion.
- Are there advertisers? If not, who are some potential advertisers? Yes! she has a lot of advertisers including, Nordstrom and J. Crew.
Next, I evaluated the blog, Sequins and Things.
- What type of blog is it per this week’s lecture? This is also a semi-professional blog run by one single girl.
- What is its purpose? It started solely as a fashion blog, but has since evolved into offering not only fashion advice, but travel, beauty and home décor.
- What makes them unique? This blog is unique because Alyson Haley (blogger) has a very unique style. This is how she developed her following, by posting pictures of her style choices on Instagram. She explains, that her following grew so large she decided to start a blog. She gives good advice on many topics that a lot of other blogs also cover. However, I like her blog because of her unique style and fun pictures.
- Talk about how it reflects the brand? The blog is fashion based so having a unique style definitely reflects the heavy fashion foundation of this blog.
- What drives the traffic to the blog? High on search engine? IMC? Website links? What gets people to read! Sequins and Things does have excellent SEO in that she is first on Google and Bing search engines. She also has all of her social media channels on her blog.
- Is it a successful blog per some of the bullet points in this week’s lecture? Yes, this blog fulfills most of the bullet points. Alyson Haley posts weekly and all of her content is original. However, she does not have a Twitter. She is featured on Twitter often by fashion accounts, but she does not have an account for her brand. She does have all other major social media channels.
- What’s missing on the blog in your opinion? I like how she has a separate section for her outfits, in which she posts pictures of herself in outfits she has put together. However, under her style tab I would like to see it organized a little more clearly. Currently, she has it divided with topics such as “January Review,” or “Handbag Review.” I like these topics, but I would like to see her also have tabs labeled, “active wear, casual wear, going out, work, etc.” Usually when I am looking at a blog for fashion advice, then I like to be able to go to a particular section. When it is all mixed in, it is hard to find what you are looking for and sometimes I tend to give up and try a new blog.
- Are there advertisers? If not, who are some potential advertisers? Yes, she has advertisers such as ShopBop and Colgate Optic White.